[Techtalk] Qmail configuration and setup :)

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Wed Nov 21 17:02:54 EST 2001

At 11/21/01 03:07 PM , Amanda C. Clift wrote:
>    I can send email out.  I just can't seem to recieve email in. I
>thought I followed all the instructions on the Install document provided
>with Qmail.

Have you started qmail-smtpd? What happens when you telnet to port 25 on
your mail server? (If you get "Connection refused", you don't have an SMTP
server (qmail-smtpd) running. If you get something like "220
your-hostname.tld ESMTP", then qmail-smtpd is running just fine, and the
problem lies elsewhere.)

Qmail-smtpd is usually run from tcpserver -- let me know if you need help
setting that up.

>also, (and I know someone will kill me Ims ure about this)- I want to
>use pineon it as my email reader.  Is that a tarball somewhere? or is it
>just something thats already installed with the kernal?

Pine has some serious security holes in it still, IIRC. Also, Pine doesn't
have native support for Maildirs (Qmail's default delivery mode). If you're
doing mbox or mail spool delivery, you can use Pine just fine, but if
you're using Maildirs, Pine will require patching.

Pine can generally be downloaded as a tarball from the U of Wash -- try
www.washington.edu/pine.

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"But every night I burn,/Every night I call your name.
  Every night I burn,/Every night I fall again..."
                                                 --The Cure,
                                                  "Burn"