[Techtalk] Freaking out (newbie letter)

Mary Gardiner linuxchix at puzzling.org
Tue Nov 6 11:51:57 EST 2001

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 06:34:07PM -0500, Amanda C. Clift wrote:
> Maybe this is too much to ask for in as short an amount of time that I
> need it, but I need to know about Apache, setting up several Static IPs
> on one machine, and setting up web pages on these machines.  I'm
> supposed to be able to do this tomrorow night at work.
> You see, I had never even touched a linux box until last week.  (We're
> using Mandrake at work, btw).  The person who was doing the unix/linux
> work quit, leaving a position open.  They are having me and the other
> night guy compete for the position, and giving us these little
> "assignments" for us to do.  This is my assignment.

OK, this is quite a detailed list of questions, so here are some links
instead of answers, which will hopefully point you in the right
direction:

Linux Documentation Project (on networking, check out the overviews and
then the IP Aliasing HOWTO):
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/networking.html#NETGENERAL

Linux Documentation Project (on Apache):
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/apps.html#SERVERHTTP

You may have already installed Apache, in which case you need to know about
Virtual Hosts in your Apache httpd.conf:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/vhosts/

You probably want IP based vhosts.

If you haven't already installed Apache, you can download the Mandrake
binaries from RPMFind at:
http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=apache&submit=Search+...

Make you grab the one for Mandrake (look in the third column), pick the
one that is right for your processor (if you're using standard PCs
running Linux, which is most likely, grab the one with i586 in the name,
ppc for PowerPC, or src for others).

If you need help installing rpms, post to the list again. I don't use
them so I can't give you precise instructions.

-Mary.

--
Mary Gardiner
<mary at puzzling.org>