[techtalk] bare metal recovery nightmare

Brian Sweeney bsweeney at physics.ucsb.edu
Wed May 30 00:20:08 EST 2001

'lo all-

K', so it's not quite bare-metal, but it's close enough.  Lost the root fs
on a production server I've got.  No prob, have it backed up to tape, but
for various reasons can't get it right over.  Had to copy several times
first; scp -rp and cp -Rpv.  Now I'm getting lots of complaints...most
obvious was "mount: only root can do that"; looked like it was related to
/proc.

This was really just root fs stuff /var and /usr, /home and others were all
on other partitions.  Don't know why it's upset.

Sorry to be curt; been working on this for hours and I'm exhausted.

Suggestions?  Thanks.

-Brian