[techtalk] NTP and SNTP

Hans Tegnerud hans_tegnerud at yahoo.com
Mon May 28 06:45:42 EST 2001

Despite the fact that my problem involves a couple of
SCO OpenServers and an NT4 Workstation I hope someone
can give me little more insight into NTP and/or SNTP.

My setup:
1 OpenServer which acts as time source
3 OpenServers which synchronize their clocks to the
first one.
1 NT4 Workstation which tries to synchronize to the
first OpenServer.

All Unix machines are running xntpd, and the NT
machine is running either timeserv or Tardis which use
SNTP.

The Unix machines are all configured the same way:
RTC and System Clock run local time, timezone is CET
(+1) and they're compensating for daylight savings
time (DST). The NT machine is configured similarly.

My problem is that:
All Unix machines get the correct time from the master
server, but the Workstation gets one hour ahead.

And now... the question:
As I understand it NTP distributes time as UTC so it
isn't affected by local time zones. But, does DST
affect UTC?

And, can anyone of you spot any immediate errors in
the master configuration file?

----
server 127.127.1.1            # LCL (Local Clock)
fudge  127.127.1.1 stratum 12 # increase stratum

driftfile /etc/ntp.drift

logconfig =syncevents +peerevents +sysevents +allclock
----

/Hans