[techtalk] Re: rpms r not-so-good.

Raven, corporate courtesan damask0 at yahoo.com
Fri May 25 10:26:54 EST 2001

Heya --

Quoth Walt:
> Thank you, I had wondered about the compiling vs. RPMS thing for some
> time and it seems that a lot (/. as well as people on here) of folks
> prefer apt- get to rpm so I figured there must be reasons.

     Fixing your dependency problems is really the reason to love
apt-get (and therefore, Debian by extension).  Apt-get even has an
internal hierarchy for how important various programs are, so in case
of a dependency conflict, it will default to resolving it in favor of
the more crucial program.  (You can configure it to ask you, though.)

> Still... not sure if that's enough to make me switch to Debian on my

     Debian is (IME) difficult to install.  If you go for a custom
install, it's very much like a BSD install -- you have to know exactly
what you're doing and what you want.  It's really easy to leave out
important things accidentally.  [rueful grin]  Been there, done that.
But there are several prepackaged installs available for it that are
much more difficult to screw up.  And I believe you can now get apt-get
for some non-Debian systems, though I can't remember offhand where I
heard that.  There were also a few Debian-based distros that used
apt-get but tried to be more user-friendly (Stormix is the one I
remember, but there were others).

Cheers,
Raven

=====
"Passion, hunger, will, and ice cream create their own world
 in which the word 'after' simply doesn't make any sense.
 Ice cream is now."
 -- Starhawk, "The Twelve Wild Swans"