[techtalk] Sick of surf and porn addicts

Liese liese at pandora.be
Fri May 25 12:58:33 EST 2001

Hi,

This question is not really linux related but i'm getting desperate.
There are about 300 users in the company where i work. Our website is
running on a local system, using suse, apache and mysql. Last year we had
to upgrade our line to the outside world, not because the incoming traffic
(to the website) was too big but because the outgoing traffic was clogging
the line.
One year later (today) we have the same problem again. We use a proxy
server (squid) and only give internet access to those who really need it
(and only with permition from their manager) but it seems like everybody
really really needs it (duuh!).
And just giving access to the requested sites isnt possible either or i
would have a fulltime job entering sites in squid.
Once a month I check our proxy logs to close down all non-work-related
sites but ...
Its hopeless.. A month later the stats are filled again with different porn
sites.

And thats just http. Include email in the picture and it will become
apparent how desperate i really am.. The shit that is send by email is
unbelievable. Porn, jokes, virusses, hoaxes, ...

We send mails, put up notices, warn people, ask people, beg people but
nothing helps.

And we are not allowed to step up to a user and say "hey, our logs show
that last month you've been surfing porn sites for over 20 hours, you must
stop this", or "We've noticed you have about 100MB of pornography
attachments on your drive, you are wasting important bandwidth". This is
against the law because it is a violation of privacy ( i live in
belgium/europe)

Is there anybody who has been in the same position and found a way to
control it better, the legal way.. I could press charges, saying that i -
as a woman - feel sexualy offended by some of the things i come across when
fixing some of the computerproblems. But I'm afraid of the consequences,
there should be another way, without making it a personal vendetta.

Thanx,
Liese..

De Vos Liese
NT Domain Administrator