[techtalk] It's all done... kind of

Martin.Caitlyn at epamail.epa.gov Martin.Caitlyn at epamail.epa.gov
Thu May 24 11:46:04 EST 2001

> I can't get my CD rom open.

If you have a disk on there it is probably mounted.  I don't know if SuSe
uses supermount or not.  In any case, in KDE, right click on the CD-ROM
icon and you should get a menu with unmount as a choice.  *If* SuSe gives
user-level permission to mount/unmount the CD-ROM you should just be able
to click on unmount in that menu and you will then be able to open your
CD-ROM.  I've never used SuSe, so I really don't know what their default
level configuration is like.

The other, old fashioned, way to unmount a CD-ROM is at the command line.
The command is *probably* just:

umount /mnt/cdrom

If SuSe does not use supermount you will have to remount any new CD you put
in the drive.  The process is just the same as unmounting (i.e.:  mount
/mnt/cdrom).

> I don't know if the burner works.

Try it.  It likely does.

> KDE is confusing.

Really!?!?!?  You are the first person I have ever seen say that.  I've
seen many complain that it is too Windows-like or too oriented to the less
than knowledgeable user, but not the other way around.  Tell me, what
environment are you used to?  Also, if you tell us what is confusing you,
perhaps we can offer help.  Let us know which version of KDE, though.  I am
currently running 2.1.1 (2.1.2 libraries).

> Nobody is talking in #linuxchix.

I can't do that from work, sorry.

Good luck!
Cait

Caitlyn M. Martin             martin.caitlyn at epa.gov
Systems Analyst              (919) 541-4441
Lockheed Martin
(a contractor for the US EPA)