[techtalk] windows sucks

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Tue May 22 20:10:04 EST 2001

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 01:04:29PM +0100 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Conor Daly thought:
> Yes, I *know* 2.2Gb won't fit on a CDROM but you should be able to gzip
> the image into less than 640Mb and then use 'zcat' to restore it.

Another thing I didn't think of earlier.  The windows install files are
usually included on the HD so windows can install software when you try to
change your IP address or something.  Do a search for *.cab  You should
find about 60 or so called win98xx.cab in a single directory (usually
c:\windows\options\cabs).  write that *entire* directory to a CD, make
sure there's a "setup.exe" (some machines come without the installer to
cripple this idea.  If that is the case, you need to get the extra files
elsewhere) and at reinstall time, use *your* recovery CD.

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)
Faenor.cod.ie
  8:04pm  up 3 days,  8:13,  0 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
Hobbiton.cod.ie
  8:05pm  up 2 days,  9:06,  2 users,  load average: 0.16, 0.03, 0.01