[techtalk] Debian ISO question

Daniel Manrique roadmr at entropia.com.mx
Mon May 21 23:13:17 EST 2001

> Howdy gang. It only took two days, but I finally successfully created a good
> Debian ISO image. By gosh I am now the Rsync queen. After I burn the ISO
> file to a CD, what's it supposed to look like? Will it have lots of files
> and a regular file structure? Or will it still be a single mondo ISO file?
>
> I burned the disk in Windows, and it made a lovely copy of the ISO file,
> just one big honkin file on CDR. Is it supposed to do that?

It's supposed do do that if that's what you told it to do :) no, really,
you shouldn't put a copy of the ISO file directly in the CD as you would
any other file; that's just a big file, so your software creates an ISO
filesystem (actually iso9660) which contains a big ass file (it happens to
be also in iso9960 format).

You need to tell your cd-r software that what you have is already an
ISO9660 image. How to do that depends on your software; so the next step
would be telling us which software are you using, then someone who knows
it can tell you how to do it.

If you do things correctly you should be able to browse the CD's contents,
and it should have a lot of files and a regular directory and file
structure. Debian? there should be a whole bunch of .deb files somewhere
in it too. Once you get that, you can be pretty confident that it's ok.

	- Roadmaster

*
Save a tree- use E-Mail!			roadmr at entropia.com.mx
*