[techtalk] apache-ssl

Almut Behrens almut_behrens at yahoo.com
Mon May 21 20:43:25 EST 2001

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 01:55:52PM -0400, Michelle Murrain wrote:
> On Monday 21 May 2001 01:16 pm, JLG wrote:
> > Did you build everything yourself, or apt-get apache-ssl?
>
> I apt-got it.
>
> > Is the user your web server runs as (www-data on my Progeny box)
> > able to write to the error.log specified in yout httpd.conf?
>
> Yup. Checked that.

if nothing else helps you might try to run the thing under strace,
which will hopefully give you an idea where things are going wrong.
Something like (from the directory where httpd resides):

  strace -f -o /tmp/strace.log ./httpd -DSSL

should be ok as a first try. Then inspect strace's output near the
end of strace.log (if you are unsure how to interpret the results,
just post them here -- to get a somewhat reduced log size you could
constrain what is being output using the -e option (something like
adding "-e trace=file,write" should probably do (manpage for details;) )

I suspect it's not really a problem with permissions -- IIRC, apache
writes appropriate clear-text error messages in these cases (at least
for error_log, access_log, ssl_engine_log, etc.). Same probably also
applies to some shared libraries not being found (though you could of
course test this manually with ldd). It might have to do with some
SSL-related files not being creatable, though, (ssl_mutex.$$,
ssl_scache.*) -- I think errors like these will only get logged to the
ssl_engine_log (or error_log?)... (btw, do you have ssl_engine_log?)

Good luck,

- Almut