[techtalk] Star Office - failed to load necessary component

christina at tuxtina.de christina at tuxtina.de
Mon May 21 00:42:55 EST 2001

Hi!

I have a problem with Star Office 5.2 on RedHat 7.1.

Star Office is being installed with the /net option on a local
harddisk. The user's homes get mounted from an HP server via NFS.

When a new user executes "soffice" for the first time, the user part
of the installation process runs as it should. When the user runs
"soffice" for the first time AFTER the user installation, the program
fails with the error message "failed to load the necessary components".

I have been told that this message means that the file ~/.user52.rdb
is corrupted and that deleting this file should fix it. At first, this
seemed to work. Star Office started perfectly. But when I tried to
start Star Office for the second time, it showed a Basic error message
and the icons on the desktop were missing. During the following
attempts several other error messages occured.

I've also been told that there are problems with the NFS server that
can cause these errors to happen. I was able to exclude this
possibility because the server machine is the same as for our RedHat
6.2 machines on which Star Office works perfectly. When a user who has
already been using Star Office on RedHat 6.2 moves to 7.1 with the
configuration files in place Star Office also works on RedHat 7.1.

Sun Microsystems only told me to "please make sure you really use Star
Office 5.2" ... very funny ... especially if you consider that
I wrote that I was using 5.2 serveral times in my message just to make
sure they wouldn't give me their "default answer" :-(

I really would appreciate any help. Has anyone knowledge of the
details of the configuration files Star Office writes to a user's home
directory? Or any other hints? I really don't want to have to tell our
users to boot Win2K and use MS Office when we upgrade to RedHat 7.1 in
the next couple of days :-(

Christina