[techtalk] Yet Another Installation Question

Julie jockgrrl at austin.rr.com
Sun May 20 17:24:14 EST 2001

From: Conor Daly <conor.daly at oceanfree.net>
> On Sat, May 19, 2001 at 10:38:20PM -0500 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
> Julie thought:
> > Not to be the mistress of understatement, but I found a big
> > difference between double-digit nets (16Mb token ring) and
> > triple digit nets (220Mb glass).
> >
> > If possible, as in, Conor is wiring his house himself, I'd
> > suggest going with 100Mb copper.
>
> You mean 8-core cat5 cabling?  Thet's the plan then all I gotta do is get
> 100Mbit hubs and NICs.  I somehow doubt that it's that crucial though for
> the home environment.

Yes, Cat5 and a 100Mb switch (not a hub) and 100Mb NICs.

Think about the transfer rates on your disks and CDs and then
think about how many machines you're going to have on your
LAN.  The idea is to keep your network from being the slowest
component.  In other words, make sure there is enough network
bandwidth to hand disk I/O and then you're just as limited
by disk I/O rates remotely as you are locally.

That was as your CPU and disks get faster (they always do,
right?) you'll see the performance improvement passed along.
If you start off limited by your LAN things never get faster ...

-- Julie.