[techtalk] Yet Another Installation Question

Caitlyn Martin caitlynmaire at earthlink.net
Fri May 18 23:12:30 EST 2001

Hi, Keith,

> Working on the basis that there really aren't any stupid questions, here
> I go again...

I don't agree that there are no stupid questions.  Still... I don't see you
asking any :)

> From the earlier queries on installing my copy of Caldera Open Linux
> eDesktop 2.4, putting the whole package on a separate drive seems the way
> to go.  One drive for Window$98 and one for Linux.

That is certainly the best way to insure that WIndows stays intact.

> I have been cautioned to back up all of my data just in case, but why
> could I not unplug the IDE cable to the Win98 HD and do the install on
> the Linux HD?  Would I be opening a can of worms when I plug the cable
> back into the Win98 drive?

Potentially, yes, you are opening a big can of worms.  *IF* you can insure
that the Linux drive is your primary master drive and *IF* you can insure
that it stays that way after you plug in the other one, what you suggest is
an absolutely safe way to install Linux.  Here's the catch that nobody has
mentioned yet:  when you reboot with the Win98 drive plugged in your machine
will *not* know about it.  Oh, the BIOS will know it's there, but grub or
lilo (the thing you'll boot to) won't.  You will then have to manually edit
your config file, which I've done, but I wouldn't recommend to an absolute
newbie.

Caldera's install is designed to handle dual boots cleanly.  Is it 100% fool
proof?  I doubt it.  I have seen it work, though, and work well.

Good luck!
Caity

Caitlyn Máire Martin
caitlynmaire at earthlink.net