[techtalk] window manager preference?

Daniel Manrique roadmr at entropia.com.mx
Fri May 18 10:52:16 EST 2001

> myself.  The reason I use terms rather than the consoles is I can get more
> onto the screen.  Like, an 80x25 char display on a 19" monitor is not the
> most efficient use of real estate.  I'm writing this in a 124x47
> gnome-terminal and can read all the all of the subject lines in mutt.  So
> now, the point of these ramblings...  Can I set the console to 128x50 or
> something like that?  Had a look at stty but couldn't find anything
> helpful there.

Looks like the most popular choice is the vga=ask kernel parameter, but
dont forget you can also use the SVGATextMode utility to switch your text
video mode. It's a bit more involved because you have to mess with a
config file, but you can change modes on-the-fly without needing a reboot,
which is useful when you're trying different modes.

	- Roadmaster

*
Save a tree- use E-Mail!			roadmr at entropia.com.mx
*