[techtalk] Internet Connection Sharing

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Thu May 17 23:53:45 EST 2001

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 05:34:18PM -0400 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
coldfire thought:
> > > I was using Mandrake 7.2 for Internet Connection on my home PC's.  They
> > are
> > > sharing
> > > a modem there since I can not get DSL or cable yet.  I had to convert the
> > > machine to
> > > Win 2K for work reasons and I am using the Internet Connection Sharing
> > > built into Win
> > > 2K and in a word--it sucks.  I want to go back to Linux to do the job.
> > Has
> > > anyone set
> > > this up -without- the Mandrake wizard?
> > >
> > http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO.html is what I used to
> > setup connection sharing.  And if I can do it, ANYONE can do it =D
> >
> > - Kath
>
> that IP-Masquerade-HOWTO is pretty old if i recall ... i'd suggest using
> iptables .. but that's just because it's a big step over ipchains ..
> however, if you're just going to setup a simple gateway, ipchains would be
> more than sufficient and that HOWTO would suffice.  it's actually quite
> easy with the HOWTO, so don't be afraid! :)

Then just add in diald to get dial on demand connecting and you can forget
about it thereafter.

I use a 486/DX2 66MHz with 16Mb RAM, 250Mb HDD and a custom kernel to do
dial on demand, ipmasq and firewall.

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)
Faenor.cod.ie
 11:44pm  up 17 days,  2:34,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.14
Hobbiton.cod.ie
 11:51pm  up 17 days,  2:43,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00