[techtalk] Random LVM endorsement

stephanie1200 at netscape.net stephanie1200 at netscape.net
Thu May 17 13:58:56 EST 2001

hey all, no questions here, just thought I'd mention that last week I took a redhat 7.1 box, compiled a 2.4 kernel, and installed LVM from www.sistina.com, with the help of my manager.  LVM rocks!!!  anyone who has used AIX's logical volume management to grow file systems on the fly will appreciate this...anyone who hasn't, will appreciate even more. =)  it's based on aix/hp LVM, (thank goodness they didn't base it on veritas), it's free and open source, almost up to 1.0 stable (we're successfully using 0.9 beta), and pretty easy to set up.  Lets you create pools of disks or partitions, that you can pull from at will and add to logical volumes and file systems.  You can stripe with it or do linear, and it will do serveral file system types including reiserfs.  You can't install it out of the box just yet, you have to install your system, upgrade the kernel, and apply LVM kernel patches, then put down LVM and set up the volume groups and logical volumes. It's also safest to lea!
ve your root partition alone...wait till it's more mature.

anyway, i'm just really happy about it, it's sooo nice to just grow a file system without having to dd in and out and all that crap.  thought this might be interesting to some folks.