[techtalk] message to all

Harry Hoffman hhoffman at sammytemple.org
Wed May 16 17:32:29 EST 2001

Ok,
 I didn't want to join in on this thread but... oh, well here goes.
Comments are in-line:

On Wed, 16 May 2001, Linda MacPhee-Cobb wrote:

> I would like to address several issues quickly here.
>
> First to the person who thought that it was foolish to have security set at
> medium on a linux box.  rtfm.  That is where security should be set for a
> client machine on line.  High and paranoid are only for servers and render
> the box useless for everything but solitare.
Medium security, especially for a RedHat box is the wrong way to go. It
leaves your box very insecure. If you've chosen this it's probably because
you're relatively new to Linux, and that's ok. No reason to get into a war
about it. After all we all started using it because it's different,
difficult, and something new to learn.

> To the owners of ip #211.72.43.234 & #10.91.218.147, if you continue to
> attempt to break into my computer I will take the time to hunt you donw and
> locate your employer/college and I will send appropriate documentation, log
> files, and a letter to your respective employer's/school's and inform them.
...(edited out)
Portscanning is not illegal, not even really a bad thing. If you using a
cable/DSL connection your ISP does it all the time searching for servers
running. It's not even really the first step to an attack and certainly
doesn't constitute one.

> To Jenn who thought using 'pretty' in my email address was inappropriate.
> How about the email you sent to Connie about your triple D tits?  His wife
... (edited)
So because someone else acts so immature you feel the need to return that.
Come on we're not 12 anymore (no offense to any 12yr/olds on the list, you
probably act more grown up than the rest!)

Kind regards,

Harry Hoffman
Security Engineer
Comcast Inc.