[techtalk] Layman's Guides to Computer Security

Raven, corporate courtesan damask0 at yahoo.com
Tue May 15 21:20:47 EST 2001

Heya --

>> "So what sort of presentation software are you using?"
>> "Ummm, vi."
>> "Oh.  Is there a conversion program for that?  I can't read
>>  these files in NT.  Maybe you should use Windows."
>>  -- a recent conversation with our new technical management
>
> Heh. Ignorance, hmm?

     Yup.  [grimace]  After my third assurance to our new management
that I didn't need an NT desktop in addition to my Sparc (and once
actually refusing to accept one they delivered anyway), and that I was
perfectly capable of doing everything I needed for my job in Solaris,
he asked me to send him some of the training syllabi I'd been working
on for our new hires.  I sent them to him in plain text.

     Next time, I'm going to rename them all to ATMErrors.txt,
BGPPrimer.txt, etc.  He didn't realize that he could open plaintext
files with Notepad.  "Right click . . . now pick 'Open With...' and
choose Notepad."  Gak.  Or I'll just convert them to .docs in
StarOffice.

     Maybe if I click my heels three times, our new Exchange server
will go away.  Just when I thought I'd gotten away from NT
administration, it bites me.  Ech.

Cheers,
Raven

=====