[techtalk] Fwd: Question re: Firewalls

Raven, corporate courtesan damask0 at yahoo.com
Sun May 13 10:42:44 EST 2001

Heya --

Quoth Harry:
>  I highly recommend using OpenBSD as your firewall... it has never
> had a remote root exploit, was build and auditied with security in
> mind, doesn't take much to run on and ipf (the firewall utility)
> allows for stateful firewalling which should be really important to
> most people.

     I would have to agree.  (I feel slightly disloyal doing so on a
Linux list, but hey.)  For those who haven't worked with them before,
OpenBSD is often considered the "best" for security, because the
developers code with that in mind from day one.  FreeBSD is also good.
It used to be the case (and arguably still is to some degree) that
FreeBSD supported a wider variety of hardware for x86 architectures,
but just recently I found that OpenBSD supported a network card in one
of my machines that FreeBSD didn't.  That was somewhat surprising.

     Of course, you can also build a perfectly good firewall with
ipchains, and there have been several folks pointing at how-tos for
that.

Cheers,
Raven

=====
"Part time husband, part time Zen master."
"Full time both.  All is one in the land of the Raven."
 -- RavenBlack and Meander, on Eastern philosophy