[techtalk] Re: techtalk digest, Vol 1 #449 - 9 msgs

Mary Gardiner linuxchix at puzzling.org
Sun May 13 01:37:50 EST 2001

On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 10:50:54AM -0400, Linda MacPhee-Cobb wrote:
> >There's probably other things which I know of, understand and
> >approve of; but which would upset you. The problem is, I can't
> >think of what they might be. I'm not *intentionally* not telling
> >you .. I just don't know what your assumptions are!
>
> Jenn,
>
> I am sure I am not the only person concerned on this list, or lurking, I
> think you should share any other things you are aware of as a system admin
> that allow someone into the system or give root access through ways other
> than the normal channels as well as they ways to close these things off.
>
> Linda

Yes, having admitted to said eviilll knowledge Jenn, I'm afraid you must now
brain-dump all your knowledge of:

1) Hardware access exploits (how exactly do you remove a hard drive and gain
access to its data, how to encrypt one, how to lock a machine up).

2) Social engineering attacks (how to get others to tell you their password and
how to hypnotise your users never to do so).

3) Lilo configuration

4) Security holes (including detailed information on our old friend, the buffer
overrun, and our new friend, the printf exploit. Please include details of
every known exploit that affects any Linux system still available on the shelf).

etc etc.

Yes, if you missed the sarcasm, I agree with Jeff. We Have Been Trolled, We Have
Lost.

Mary.

--
Mary Gardiner