[techtalk] newbie network problems

Michelle Murrain mpm at norwottuck.com
Wed May 9 07:24:19 EST 2001

On Tuesday 08 May 2001 08:26 pm, Eunice Roberts wrote:
<snip>
> I have and ibm thinkpad, an old mac powerbook, and my lovely new linux
> box.  I have a (dynamic) dsl connection (Cisco 675 external router).  Plus
> 10baseT ethernet hub.
>
> The problem is that my linux box doesn't seem to be connecting. Or maybe
> it is but I just can't tell.  I don't know what I'm doing wrong.  The
> motherboard came with sis900 integrated Fast ethernet controller.  I see
> the sis900 module load up every time I restart the computer. Linux box is
> configured for DHCP.
<snip>
>My questions are:
> Do I need another NIC to make this setup work? If so, why?
> How can I better test to see if Linux sees my ethernet connection?
> Do I need to do some sort of ip masquerading to make this work?
> Do I need to configure NAT to make this work?
> How do I configure $SOCKS?
> What else am I missing?
>
> I seem to be missing something fundamental which is stopping me from
> getting this up and going.  I have no problem with the other 2 PCs I just
> configure for DHCP, maybe provide a few DNS numbers, connect to the hub
> (or just to the router) and I'm off

What's providing the DHCP? I'm assuming the router? Is that your gateway? You
need to make sure that the linux box is pointing to the gateway/router, and
getting DHCP from there. If you are depending on your ISP for your DHCP, that
would be a problem.

What I've done (which may or may not be a good idea), is give all of my boxes
static IP addresses within the 192.168.1.x range, instead of using DHCP. DNS
points to my ISPs DNS server (I've got cable with dynamic IP). That has
always worked like a charm for me. I have also used DHCP, but even though my
boxes are looking at my gateway (a netopia broadband router) for DHCP,
sometimes it doesn't make the connections. I really don't know why - and
since the static IP addresses work so well, I never bothered to troubleshoot
it.

The other advantage to static IPs is that you can create routes to your boxes
so that you (or the world, depending on what you want to do) can potentially
access them remotely.

Michelle
--
Michelle Murrain, Ph.D.