[techtalk] Gumpish Routing Question

James Sutherland jas88 at cam.ac.uk
Wed May 9 06:37:34 EST 2001

On Wed, 9 May 2001, Neale Green wrote:

> Hi Folks,

Hi!

> As of last night, I have a major routing problem with my Net connection which
> the ISP CLAIMS isn't at their end. I use the ISP for connection, and DNS, but
> not for any Proxy (or other) services.

The same way I usually use ISPs - especially since my current one was
assimilated by the MICROS~1 and "upgraded" their one and only mail server
to Win2k... (Can you say "downtime"?!)

> My link to the service provider dropped last night, and when I
> re-initiated it, my Gateway machine could see the DNS server &
> Internet, AND could see the other machines in my network, but the
> other machines could only get to the Gateway server via IP, NO name
> connections, NO pings on any address outside the Gateway.

OK, sounds like the routing setup is wrong.

Could you send the output of:

route
ipchains -L

and the contents of /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward? The routing itself
sounds OK, since the system can access the Net, but ipchains may be wrong?

> Nothing was changed on any of my boxes, and the boxes inside still
> point to the gateway machine as a default router, and the ISP's DNS
> servers, but the ISP claims that everything is right at their end, and
> so it's a problem within my network and/or gateway.

Looks that way, I'm afraid: hey, even ISP tech "support" ppl get it right
sometimes :-)

James.
--
The difference between Microsoft and 'Jurassic Parc':
In one, a mad businessman makes a lot of money with beasts that should be