[techtalk] Slightly OT: Web based chat

jenn at simegen.com jenn at simegen.com
Sun May 6 00:40:37 EST 2001

Kath wrote:

> Anyone know of a good web based chat for Linux servers?

> 1) Free or extremely low cost
>
> 2) Ability to kick/ban users (Kids here are obnoxious).

What I've done for simegen.com is install an IRC server, locate
a free Java IRC client that was good-enough-for-the-purpose,
and tell the various webmasters 'Any IRC client will do, here's
one, use the server...'

Low cost, low maintenance, and the webmasters seem happy that they
can use their own choice of client. And the users are happy that
they can use their mirc or pirch or whatever-they-like.

Jenn V.

jenn at simegen.com     Jenn Vesperman     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn/