[techtalk] Aumix problems

Kriselda Jarnsaxa thorswitch at kc.rr.com
Wed May 2 13:48:54 EST 2001

I recently installed Mandrake on my system (its the same computer I use for
Windows, also), and have been having weird sound problems.  I can get the
system beep to work ok and I can play audio CD's while in Linux, but I can't
play mp3s (even from a CD in the CD player) nor can I get any sound from
streaming media.

I'm thinking part of the problem may be a low internal volume setting.  When
I had previously tried to set up SuSE (which hated my monitor), I had gotten
to the section on setting up the sound card, and in order to get the test
sound to play, I had to turn the volume slider up to about 90%.
Unfortunately, in Mandrake, I don't have any kind of control over the
interior volume settings.  When I tried to use KMix, the panel would open
up, but all it was displaying was the "File" etc., menus at the top of the
panel and nothing else. The rest of the panel was just a solid, blank
square.  I then tried to install aumix to see if that would work, and for
some reason, my system doesn't want to recognize that its there.  I tried
using the tarball first, and it looked like it installed just fine, but when
I clicked on the "aumix" button in the menu, or when I opened the folder
window and clicked on the icon there, the icon would display that little
"zooming" effect that shows its opening up a program, but no panel would
open and there was no other visible indication that anything had happened.
As a result, even if the program is running, I can't do anything with it.
When I then went into the terminal mode and went to the directory and issued
the command from there, I didn't get any response.  There was also a program
listed called "xaumix", and when I tried launching that from the command
line, it gave me and "error opening aumix" message.

I then got a copy of the RPM of aumix and decided to give that a try.
Nothing changed, except that now it tries to start aumix during the bootup
sequence, but returns a "FAILED" notation and gives an "error opening aumix"
message there, too.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Kriselda