[techtalk] Re: Odd firewall outputs (cont)

Rick Scott rick at shadowspar.dyndns.org
Sat Mar 24 23:39:42 EST 2001

On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 07:31:04PM -0500, Angela Nash wrote:
> If your connection is on cable or DSL, expect to get port scanned
> every few minutes.  You'll fill up your firewall logs very fast.

<nods> As Clifto said when I posted about this in
news.admin.net-abuse.email, `Raise the drawbridge and man the turrets.'
I find that I rarely get a full portscan, but I often have
people taking a few stabs at ports 23(telnet) and 53(bind).
There also are a lot of connection attempts to random file-sharing
type ports, presumably due to the fact that I'm on a dynamic
IP address setup.

Rick
--
key CF8F8A75 / print C5C1 F87D 5056 D2C0 D5CE  D58F 970F 04D1 CF8F 8A75
War is hell.  Next question, please.