[techtalk] Web diary.

Laurel Fan lf25+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Mar 21 21:10:07 EST 2001

Excerpts from linuxchix: 22-Mar-101 Re: [techtalk] Web diary. by Mary
Gardiner at puzzling.o
> > So your total bandwidth consumption is the cvs commit/update
> > (depending on whether the cvs is remote or local), and however much it
> > takes ssh to send those commands over.
>
> Beyond neglible that is :)

How negligible do you want?  AFAIK cvs only transfers the file that
was changed.  So if you write 10K of stuff a day, it'll transfer 10K.
(If it's text, it'll compress well, so if you do cvs with, say, -z9,
you could reduce that by half at least) Supposing ssh adds 10K of
stuff to the 20 bytes or so for those commands, that's a total of 30K
every time you want to update.  Supposing you have a 14.4 modem,
rounding down to 1K/s, that's still only 30 seconds.  I don't think
it's really not possible to have much less than that, assuming you
have 10K of information, and you want to get it somewhere else. Or do
I completely not understand what you want?