[techtalk] HD Noises (was: problems with disk IBM 73 Gb)

Rick Scott rick at shadowspar.dyndns.org
Mon Mar 19 13:11:47 EST 2001

(ktb:)

> The noise your hearing "like a sewing machine" is probably just e2fsck
> doing it's job.  If you were hearing "clunks" that would be a dead
> drive.

While we're on the arcane subject of being able to interpret and
diagnose various hard drive sounds, I'm told that a HD that sounds
like a little chainsaw as it spins is one that's on its way out.
I wonder if this is bearings starting to wear, fine dust getting
into the sealed internals, ...?

Rick
--
key CF8F8A75 / print C5C1 F87D 5056 D2C0 D5CE  D58F 970F 04D1 CF8F 8A75
Beggars get handouts before philosophers because people have some idea