[techtalk] Debian

Michelle Murrain mpm at norwottuck.com
Sat Mar 10 17:17:54 EST 2001

On Friday 09 March 2001 04:56 pm, Jen Hamilton wrote:
> Rachel,
>
> I found some other interesting information about debian-kde here
> http://www.tdyc.com/archive/debian-tutorial/develop.html.
>
> It says "KDE 2.x is now a part of woody but since woody is considered
> unstable most people out there who have a need
> for KDE will be using potato. For *many* reasons KDE is not a part of
> potato and will never be. This site is primarily focused for those potato
> users and the ongoing development of KDE packages for both potato and
> woody and all future versions of Debian."
>
> It looks like there is also a mailing list for debian-kde on the
> http://lists.debian.org/ site.

I thought that once a Debian distro was called "stable" there weren't really
any changes to it - whereas if it's "testing" or "unstable" newer versions of
packages are added until it freezes and becomes stable. So, I think that no
newer version of anything will ever become part of potato - you have to go to
woody or sid (the new name for unstable) to get newer versions.

That said, people are independently making debs of newer versions of software
(like KDE) to use with either potato or woody. For a while I was running
potato with KDE 2.0 (from the tdyc site) and now I'm running woody with KDE
2.1. (BTW, I like 2.1 alot).

Michelle
Michelle Murrain, Ph.D.
President