[techtalk] tty lockup

David Merrill david at lupercalia.net
Fri Mar 9 09:09:01 EST 2001

Hi,

I was running red-carpet and it ate up ALL my available ram. I killed
it. Now I can get no responsiveness at the console. I am logged in
from another machine right now so I can send this mail.

I suspect that the oom condition caused Linux to kill (somewhat)
random processes, and one of them was my tty (mgetty?) Am I on track
or way off base?

Any tips on how to fix this?

Linux Documentation Project                   david at lupercalia.net
                                       Finger me for my public key

Katz' Law:
	Men and nations will act rationally when
	all other possibilities have been exhausted.

History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have
exhausted all other alternatives.
		-- Abba Eban