[techtalk] Re: modem/ppp problem

Lighthouse Keeper in the Desert Sun ccovingt at one-eyed-alien.net
Sun Mar 4 09:15:33 EST 2001

On Mar 4, Telsa Gwynne conjectured:

> On Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 09:47:20PM +0100 or thereabouts, rottie at pandora.be wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I don't have much experience with dailup connections but anyway..
>
> Me neither, alas.

Yeah, that's the problem among my friends -- they all have DSL, so they
don't know about dialups.  (Of course, if we were close enough to a CO,
we'd have DSL, too.)

> "rpm -V packagename" is it. If you get nothing, and just your prompt
> back, there were no errors. If you get letters separated by dots, there's
> a problem:

On a hunch, I rpm -q for bind and caching-nameserver.  Neither was
installed.  Yeah, I told the 6.2 installer not to upgrade bind (don't know
why, though...)  Would that have broken it?  Since I did that, it's been
back to its normal functionalty, which means that it stalls periodically,
but still works.  THis is probably a problem with the modem itself, but
I'm too lazy to get a firmware update, since that requires getting the
serial number from the modem itself and booting windows.  It makes
downloading really annoying, though.  (I'm trying to download wxgtk for a
mail reader.  It's about 2 MB, and it stalls after about every 1%, which
really drives me nuts.  However, when I use Ben's Mac to get files, it
doesn't have any problem.  This strikes me as very odd, since it's just
using the same modem through ip masquerading.)

One new problem is that getting pop mail stalls.  Since the host I use to
get my mail recently (yesterday) physically relocated (owner moved), I
thought perhaps it had somehting to do with that.  But it's back up today
and running normally, and the pop mail still stops.  I don't know whether
this is a problem on my end or on his end.  I don't know how to figure
that out, either.  Is there a way to do that?

Conni
not very linux-savvy

--
First we go to Three Mile Island, then Chernobyl.  It's the Nuclear
Catastrophe Tour!

 Keeper of Duo's Kurosawa DVD's || GLOCK Contessa of Bishounen Conditioner
   Member of the Societies Against the Complete Bastardization of Zechs
		    Marquise and Treize Khushrenada

  www2.one-eyed-alien.net/~ccovingt || www.angelfire.com/anime/Galadriel