[techtalk] strange modem/ppp problem

Lighthouse Keeper in the Desert Sun ccovingt at one-eyed-alien.net
Fri Mar 2 13:20:28 EST 2001

I hope someone here can give me an idea about what I  can try here.  I've
already asked a few people I know, and they were all lost.

So here's the troube:  About 2 weeks ago, I wsa trying to upgrade from
RedHat 6 to 6.2, and the cd I was using is bad somehow.  Like it got to a
certain point in the installation process (installing packages, usually),
then died.  Since then, when I dial into the modem pool, after I view a
few webpages (ranging from 3 to 20 on a good day), the transfer rate goes
to about 2 bytes/second in netscape, IMAP, and POP mail transfer.  But I
can ssh to a remote host to read my email, and I can IRC from there for
hours without trouble.  WHen I run IRC from my machine, it dies.  It's
probably not the modem itself, since I'm not having this problem under
windows.  I don't have the first idea about what sort of diagnostcs I can
run.  One of the people I asked suggested that perhaps the problem was
that I didn't have a caching nameserver installed, but I would swear I
did.  (Or I did once, at the very least.  Upgrading badly may have messed
things up a lot more than I thought...)  Oh, and if I hang up and redial,
it works fine ... until the threshold is reached again.  It's like there's
a pipe filling up.

Please, any suggestions would be lovely.  (I'm tired of using windows...)

Conni

--
So take those photographs and still-frames in your mind; hang it on a
shelf in good health and good time.

 Keeper of Duo's Kurosawa DVD's || GLOCK Contessa of Bishounen Conditioner
   Member of the Societies Against the Complete Bastardization of Zechs
		    Marquise and Treize Khushrenada

  www2.one-eyed-alien.net/~ccovingt || www.angelfire.com/anime/Galadriel