[Techtalk] [OT] Where can I find a Jr. Admin job?

ktb ktb at nixnotes.org
Thu Jun 7 08:56:24 EST 2001

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 07:12:22PM +1000, jenn at simegen.com wrote:
> ktb wrote:
>

> > Trouble is, where does one find a Jr. Admin job?  I've looked around the
> > net at monster.com, computerjobs.com and various papers though the U.S.
> > Most of the Admin jobs are Sr. Admin and they want 3 to 5 years
> > experience.
>
> For a start: who do you know who knows your skillset? Do they have
> friends/peers/people they know who need a junior admin?

Most of my friends are of the non-tech nature.  I tell them but it
doesn't go far I fear.

> Secondly: where are you? What country? What city? Maybe one of *us*
> knows someone who knows a junior admin.

I live in the U.S. - Omaha Nebraska.  I would be willing to relocate
just about anywhere in the states if -

1)  The job actually brought me above the poverty line.
2)  The better part of the job actually consisted of Unix
    administration.
3)  The people that I work for and with were supportive and kind.  In
    other words, that they don't respond to your ideas with, "That's
	stupid." They don't laugh at you when you make a mistake or don't
	know something they consider trivial, in their ("I have 10 years of
	experience, I am a god.") minds.

> Most *advertised* admin jobs tend to be senior admin, because junior
> admins tend to get created out of precisely the kind of raw material
> you are. :) So you need to make sure as many local sysadmins and
> programmers as possible know you want to be trained.
>
> Networking in this industry doesn't *just* revolve around Cat-5. :)

I like that:)  I will have to work on my networking skills.  Trouble is
I really don't know many people who work in the field.  I crossed over
from Prairie restoration just a year ago.  I fear if I hit the local LUG
my employer will find out.  This isn't that big of a town.  Thanks for
your comments:)
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted