[Techtalk] Linux in Higher Learning

the unseen theunseen at darnold.org
Wed Jun 6 22:04:13 EST 2001

Do you know what worries me most?  People in IS majors around the
country are only learning the Microsoft way.  Many of these students
are only in the major because that's where the money is (part of
the reason why I left the major, the other being I can't really teach
with a computer science degree in Ohio without a degree in something
else first so I am math now but I digress) .  So many disillusioned
students think that the only os out there is anything with MS in
front of it and the brain - numbed professors let this happen.  In
computer science departments where the focus is more technical or
liberal-arts, this happens less than where the focus is on business.
Ask a computer science student at Carnegie-Mellon, Stanford or
Cal Tech if they have heard of Linux, they will definitely know what
it is and odds are, they probably do use it, if they haven't.  But,
go to a place like a community colleg (or my school, Cleveland State
University), they will say "Linux...isn't that the guy with the blanket
from the Charlie Brown cartoons?".  The point is the IT "professionals"
that are coming out of college today have been brainwashed by their
professors and the current media trends.  How can this be combatted?
How can we correct this?

Derek Arnold

the unseen
------
"this ain't no time where the usual is suitable"
					-Mos Def