[techtalk] dead mouse

JamesA.Sutherland JamesA.Sutherland
Sat Jun 23 18:30:28 EST 2001

On Sat, 23 Jun 2001 12:23:44 -0500, Julie wrote:
>David Merrill wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 23, 2001 at 10:52:59AM +0100, James A. Sutherland wrote:

>> > I'd agree the problem is the PC side of things, but I doubt it's
>> > hardware. More likely to be a driver problem: you get very similar
>> > results if you have the wrong mouse type configured, since the driver
>> > then interprets the coordinates the mouse sends wrongly...
>>
>> Well, I got it working, but I still don't know what went wrong. I
>> `fixed' it by running mouseconfig (it's a RH system) and telling it I
>> had a serial mouse, then running mouseconfig again and telling it to
>> use a Generic 3-button PS/2. So something in my config must have
>> gotten clobbered, although I have no idea what, or how. I haven't
>> installed anything recently or munged any config files.
>
>Oh, that's interesting.
>
>So how does one read raw data directly from the mouse?
>
>Curious minds, and all that.

A PS/2 mouse will appear as /dev/psaux, and you should be able to get
the raw 3-byte sequences from there. For serial mice, just access the
serial port as normal (/dev/ttyS1 or whatever). Same protocol for
both.

No idea about USB mice, though - or how you get the input from mouse
wheels. Anyone?

James.