[techtalk] Gnomish weirdness (Gnome 1.4, Mandrake 8.0)

Martin.Caitlyn at epamail.epa.gov Martin.Caitlyn at epamail.epa.gov
Wed Jun 20 10:59:04 EST 2001

Hi, Telsa, and everyone else,

To answer some of your questions:

My system boots to kdm, which is the default for Mandrake.  The problem is
the same no matter which window manager I use for Gnome.  I've tried
sawfish, icewm, and enlightenment, and the results were the same, so it is
Gnome-specific, not wm specific.  Icewm without Gnome works perfectly, as
does enlightenment,  I thought I looked at the keybindings, since that
pretty much was the first thing I thought of, but I will certainly look
again tonight when I get home.  We're a Red Hat shop here, and Ximian isn't
part of our standard 7.1 configuration.  (We actually don't mandate a
desktop UI, and some servers here don't even have X installed.)  This
doesn't happen in the Gnome 1.2 shipped with Red Hat 7.1.

Oh, and on my system the letter "z" works.  It's just the "r"key and, lo
and behold, the ESC key.

Anyway, I'll play with it some more.  At least I know now it's a bug in
Gnome, and not just something weird I did to my system.

All the best,
Cait