[techtalk] why do I read this stuff

Scott scott at talon.net
Tue Jun 12 13:07:14 EST 2001

Why do I bother reading this stuff?

Want Linux on your desktop? Nine reasons to forget about it
By David Coursey, AnchorDesk
June 11, 2001 9:00 PM PT

Linux is an important part of the computing landscape. Important because
open standards matter. Important because it creates competition and a
looming threat to Microsoft. Important because it gives a large number of
geeks and wonks a religion to belong to--complete with a patriarch.
Religion is a good thing, I believe, right up to the moment it makes a fool
out of you. And a good many Linux
what's the term? Proponents? Advocates?
No, zealots!--yes, a good many Linux zealots make fools of themselves.
I don't have Ninety-Five Theses to nail to the Wittenberg Door, as Martin
Luther did, but I take my reformation work where I can find it. So here are
some ideas for reforming people's wrong-headed notions of Linux:
Linux will never become common as a desktop operating system, and no amount
of believing will change that. It only makes adherents look stupid. Why?
Because Linux is too complex, and there isn't enough money to make it worth
someone's time to build a really great environment for desktop apps. And
then software companies would need to build applications, but how large a
market is there? Yes, chicken-and-egg, but that stops many things, not just
desktop Linux.
If client-side Java had lived up to the promise of "write once, run
anywhere" then Linux would have a bigger, but hardly fighting, chance of
unseating desktop Windows.
Linux, desktop especially but also server, is not a major threat to
Microsoft. But it is enough of a threat to make Microsoft notice, and that
is usually a good thing. Microsoft will be on the defensive, at least a
little, and that gives customers some leverage they don't otherwise enjoy.
I don't have numbers to support this, but Linux may be a bigger threat to
various flavors of UNIX than it is to Microsoft server operating systems.
There's at least a 50/50 probability that Linux will become Balkanized just
as UNIX was. There will be multiple, semi-compatible versions of Unix that
seem to be one operating system, right up until you try to install
applications. Surprise! Not the Solaris version? Sorry!
People talk about how wonderful it is that Linux is free. But over the life
of a server, the operating system is such a small part of the cost that it
gets lost in the other soft- and hard-dollar expenses. And you'd think
systems offering the lowest total cost-of-ownership would sell better than
they usually do. Apple, for many years, claimed a big TCO lead over
Windows. But did it help?
Big hardware companies may yet co-opt Linux: Here's an operating system
they can load, create add-ons for, and then sell support contracts for. Add
some minor barriers to switching to other platforms and operating
systems--either Microsoft or another Linux--and you might have something.
Isn't this how Sun became King of Unix?
Linux is a fine server operating system Use it with my blessing, but don't
let it define you, your IS shop, or your company. And don't select Linux
just because you hate Microsoft. That isn't good enough reason to pick an
operating system.
Linux will be a common operating system in places where we don't see an
operating system--like home information and entertainment appliances. Want
Linux? Buy a TiVo digital video recorder. Linux makes great sense as an
embedded OS, but faces much competition. Still, I am betting most people
will have some sort of Linux-powered device in the lives sometime in the
next 5 years or so.
Luther and his followers were excommunicated for their beliefs. I don't
face anything nearly as drastic as that--but I know there are many in the
Linux cult ready to proclaim me a heretic, or worse.
For my part, I suppose I'm happy there are people who define their lives by
what operating system they use--if only because they're fun to watch. But I
am even happier that I'm not one of them.