[techtalk] Desktop OS?

Mandi mandi at linuxchick.org
Mon Jun 4 14:59:50 EST 2001

I definitely have to agree with Caitlyn.  I quit using Windows years ago.
The only thing I miss are the fonts, but that's finally coming along.

However, I will say that Linux support for Apple hardware isn't near what
it is for Intel hardware.  And there is good reason for that, being that
Apple hardware is incredibly expensive for what you get, Apple has a
smaller market share, and Apple has marketed their hardware to people more
interested in creative development than technical development.

Most of what you are experiencing with your hardware doesn't exist anymore
on intel platform machines, including notebooks.

I have a dual G4 that I bought in January, and I finally gave up trying to
get Linux into a usable state on it because the support just wasn't ready.
I'm planning to try the newest release of Yellow Dog, but for the past 5
months I have had this incredibly expensive machine that I absolutely hate
because the OS is a piece of crap and I don't know enough about the
platform to develop on it myself.  So I wait until the people who do know
can get stuff working.

Linux itself is incredible.  If you have the opportunity to use Linux on
an intel based machine, you'll see the difference.  Apple's hardware looks
nice, and it runs well when you finally get enough ram in it, but running
anything but MacOS on it takes a lot of patience and work.

good luck.

--mandi