[techtalk] Opinion needed on Mail Clients

Claudine Chionh claudine at replicant.apana.org.au
Fri Jun 1 15:51:01 EST 2001

Hi Michelle and others,

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 12:24:05PM -0700, Michelle Dukich <michelledukich at yahoo.com> scripsit,
> I am on the quest for a mail client that is not going
> to make me work so hard to make it work.

What other mail clients (whatever OS) have you used in the past?
It might make the difference in how much more you have to learn
or having to change old habits.

Personally, my response is always: Use Mutt.
Need a GUI?  Use Mutt-in-xterm.
Stuck with Windows?  Use Mutt under Cygwin.

> I would prefer a GNOME solution.  It will need to get
> mail from several POP accounts with a good system for
> folders and searching.

Thankfully my mail servers provide IMAP access, but according to the
Mutt documentation it seems you can access as many POP accounts as
you please.  Of course, 'power users' are more likely to use
something like fetchmail to collect POP/IMAP mail independent of
mail client.

Folders: Mutt provides support for Maildir and MH style folders, which
permit nested mail folders.

Searching: You can use regular expressions to search mail indexes.
I don't think there is any facility to search within message bodies
(except one at a time), but you could just grep the mailboxes.

http://www.mutt.org/ has a copy of the Mutt reference manual.

Unfortunately, I can't advise on how Mutt compares with other Unix
mail clients (except Pine), because I *always* use Mutt.

Hope this helps,
Claudine

--
geek historian - Melbourne, AU