[techtalk] File sharing over the internet

jenn at simegen.com jenn at simegen.com
Sat Jul 7 10:35:39 EST 2001

kath wrote:

> I was thinking CVS... but not keeping changes local is important (so noone
> is holding out on something important on accident).
>
> Would CVS be able to do this?  I always thought CVS was more like a
> different kind of FTP (How I've come to understand it is that you have
> people that can update the source and others that can just view and download
> it.  Am I missing something?)

In open projects like most Sourceforge stuff, change access does
get restricted to keep L33t H4x0r5 from uploading nasty-things.

In closed projects (internal to companies and such), it's usually
the default case: anyone who has access to the tree has both read
and write access.

Each person would have to make sure they 'cvs commit' their changes
when they've done changing things, and that they 'cvs add' any new
files or directories they make. But so long as they do that, the
CVS tree will remain up-to-date with the latest info.

Jenn V.

jenn at simegen.com     Jenn Vesperman     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn/