[techtalk] strangs apache log

ktb ktb at nixnotes.org
Tue Jul 17 11:35:46 EST 2001

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 08:48:02AM -0700, Brian Sweeney wrote:
> Hmm, sounds like someone's using you as a proxy server. Do you have
> mod_proxy running?  On purpose?  ;-)  I discovered this little "feature" in
> my company's webserver not too long ago.  Whoever had set it up had turned
> on proxy requests with no restrictions, so I found that I was proxying
> rather interesting material to a bunch of folks in Japan and Germany.
>
> In any case, look for a "ProxyRequests On" line, and comment it out if you
> don't want it there.  You might want to just comment out the AddModule and
> LoadModule lines as well, just for the heck of it.

mod_proxy is commented out in httpd.conf.  I greped the /etc/apache/
directory and no "ProxyRequests" line showed up.  The information at the
link Almut provided leads me to believe this is just someone looking for
an open proxy.  Not sure though.

When you found someone was using your box for proxying, what log files
showed what material was being routed and to where?
Thanks,
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted