[techtalk] Ghostscript

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Fri Jul 13 00:03:42 EST 2001

Hi Stephanie,

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Stephanie Maks wrote:

> Our printer is an HP with no postscript, just PCL5.  I've started
> experimenting with Ghostscript and have been very pleased with the success
> of being able to print from a Macintosh client onto the linux server, by
> manualy copying the .ps file and running ghostscript to convert it.
>
> I've read in a few places (Printing HOWTO, etc) that you can set up a custom
> filter so that print jobs automaticaly go through ghostscript, but have not
> found any information on how to actually do that step.
>
> I've got printcap configured with lp as the main printer using normal
> filters, and I'd like to set up an lp1 which would use a 'ghostscript'
> filter, but going to the same /dev.
>
> Can anyone let me know how to do this, or point me to where I would find
> some documentation?
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> -Stephanie
>
> p.s. the system in question is currently running Red Hat 5.2 (i know, we're
> going to upgrade soon).  It does not have X on it, (we've never needed it on
> this box).

you should be able to configure a printer queue easily using printtool
(which pityfully needs X to be run). The filters it sets up should "eat"
various input formats transparently (this list is on Red Hat Linux 7.1,
the print filters on 5.2 should be similar):

- printers own (PCL)
- ASCII
- Postscript
- various image formats
- TeX DVI

Nils
--
 Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg // +49.7152.209647
nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de / nils at redhat.de / nils at fht-esslingen.de