[techtalk] SMP hangs on 2.4.2?

Jeff Dike jdike at karaya.com
Sun Jul 8 20:01:03 EST 2001

jockgrrl at austin.rr.com said:
> I've been having more than a few hangs with the 2.4.2-SMP kernel of
> late.  I don't want to just run off and download 2.4.5 because it's
> newer.  Is there anyone else running the SMP kernel that cured any
> hangs by upgrading to a newer kernel?

Have you complained on the kernel list?  That would be the place to get the
definitive answer to something like this.

For hangs, it would be nice to get at least some information about it so the
kernel folks have more to go on than 'my system hangs'.  See
Documentation/sysrq.txt for how to enable SysRq.  When the machine hangs, I
think the drill is to do 'p' a lot and write down the various values for the
IP that you see.  When you get tired of that, reboot and translate those
numbers into something symbolic by looking at your System.boot file (I don't
know if there's an automatic way of doing the translation - ksymoops will, but
you don't have an oops...).

Then post all that (plus your configuration and anything else you think is
relevant) to the kernel list and see if anyone recognizes it as having been
fixed.

				Jeff