[techtalk] Still yet again more DNS woes (Email this time!)

Kath ranger at optonline.net
Mon Jan 29 00:57:29 EST 2001

Ok, anytime I try to email kath at kathweb.net, I get the following:

Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:

  Recipient address: kath at kathweb.net
  Reason: Illegal host/domain name found

Now according to my zone record, the mail server is set:
@ IN SOA www.kathweb.net. root.ns3.kathweb.net.  (
                                       1997022700 ; Serial
                                       28800      ; Refresh
                                       14400      ; Retry
                                       3600000    ; Expire
                                       86400 )    ; Minimum

                 IN      NS      ns3.kathweb.net.
                 IN      NS      ns2.kathweb.net.
                 IN      MX      10 ns3.kathweb.net.

;
; host addresses
;
localhost       IN      A       127.0.0.1
ns3             IN      A       24.189.168.161
ns2             IN      A       207.127.75.180
kathweb.net. IN A 24.189.168.161
;
; canonical aliases
;
mail            IN      CNAME  ns3
irc             IN      CNAME   ns3
www              IN      CNAME   ns3
kathweb.net     IN    CNAME   ns3
phpmyadmin      IN      CNAME ns3
myphpshop       IN      CNAME ns3

Now prior, my MX server was set to the old server, ns1.kathweb.net.  I fixed that now, as you can see in the zone entry.  But it still doesn't work. :/  Would changing the Refresh/Retry/Expire thingy at the top work?  Yes, I have already done "killall -HUP named".

- Kath, who grows to hate the internet more and more everyday