[techtalk] free_one_pmd: bad directory entry 00000020

Jeff Dike jdike at karaya.com
Fri Jan 19 18:02:49 EST 2001

> free_one_pmd: bad directory entry 00000020
> Is this a kernel error and how severe is it? Should I worry?

This looks like a NULL which has had a one-bit error in it.  If so, you have
some flaky memory.

It could crash your system if it happens in the right place.  The error above
happened in a page table, which pretty serious.  If it had switched a bit in a
non-zero pmd, you could have had some pretty serious data corruption.

				Jeff