[techtalk] Red Hat 7.0 and video cards

Martin.Caitlyn at epamail.epa.gov Martin.Caitlyn at epamail.epa.gov
Tue Jan 2 11:22:49 EST 2001

Conor wrote:

> I had problems with a  Trident 3D Image 975 AGP card in
> Xfree 3.3.whatever-it-is-that-you-get-with-rh6.2  The XF86SVGA server
> doesn't seem to support the Image 975 very well.  I could get decent
> resolutions eventually after much tweaking of /etc/X11/XF86Config but I
> couldn't get X to run from the linuxcare Bootable Business Card CD (A
very
> nice tool, uses Rusty Russell's compressed loopback filesystem to carry
> about 80Mb of a rescue system on a 50Mb bootable Business Card CD).
> Eventually dumped the Trident card in favour of an S3 Trio 3D 2X+ which
> ran out of the box.

That is completely contrary to my experience with the card.  I have two,
and I have run Mandrake 7.0, Caldera 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, Red Hat 6.0, and
TurboLinux 4.1 with it, all with great success.  I tend to run at
1024x768x32bpp and never have had so much as a hiccup with XFree 86 3.3.x
and the SVGA server.  It bothers me to have to replace two perfectly good
cards just to upgrade my X, especially since I know a whole bunch of cards
are missing out of 4.0.1.

Of course, YMMV...

Regards,
Caity

Caitlyn M. Martin             martin.caitlyn at epa.gov
Systems Analyst              (919) 541-4441
Lockheed Martin
(a contractor for the US EPA)