[techtalk] Red Hat 7.0 and video cards

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Tue Jan 2 00:22:38 EST 2001

On Mon, Jan 01, 2001 at 05:13:40PM -0500 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Caitlyn Martin thought:
> Hi, everyone,
>

> I ran into the same problem with my Trident 3D Image 975 AGP card, which
> again, is a common chipset.  The problem isn't Red Hat 7, though.  It's any
> and *all* distributions that use XFree86 4.x.  The support is just not nearly
> as good as in 3.3.x.  Mandrake 7.2, for example, will give you exactly the
> same problem.  The only solution is to rip out X and install the 3.3.6 RPMs
> from the previous version.  This will, of course, break anything that depends
> on 4.0.1 or whatever.

I had problems with a  Trident 3D Image 975 AGP card in
Xfree 3.3.whatever-it-is-that-you-get-with-rh6.2  The XF86SVGA server
doesn't seem to support the Image 975 very well.  I could get decent
resolutions eventually after much tweaking of /etc/X11/XF86Config but I
couldn't get X to run from the linuxcare Bootable Business Card CD (A very
nice tool, uses Rusty Russell's compressed loopback filesystem to carry
about 80Mb of a rescue system on a 50Mb bootable Business Card CD).
Eventually dumped the Trident card in favour of an S3 Trio 3D 2X+ which
ran out of the box.

I can't remember if I had replaced the card before I put on RH7.0 though.

Domestic Sysadmin :-)