[techtalk] Tightening Security

Christian MacAuley csm at jellspace.net
Mon Feb 19 18:53:18 EST 2001

Recently i've gotten a few complaints about probes/scans from one of my
computers (a Cobalt Linux server.)  I've looked at my logs and i can see no
one was logged into it at the time that the scans were reported.  Does that
mean someone is spoofing me?

I'd like to make sure all the ports i'm not using are closed, and generally
tighten security ... how do it do it?  Also, i've heard that there's no
point in installing a firewall on a Linux server -- is that true?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated :)

Thanks,
Christian

Christian MacAuley
work » http://colortheory.net