[techtalk] setting up Apache

James Sutherland jas88 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Feb 11 16:36:46 EST 2001

On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, WolfRyder wrote:

> Hi everyone,

Hiya!

> My new job is so much fun! I'm the new Webmaster where I work and have
> slowly learning my way around my new job.

Congratulations! That's how I got started on *nix systems too.

> I know the server is a UNIX system, but my husband assures me it's
> enough like Linux to be almost twins, so I'm not so intimidated by it.

That's good. Linux is really just one flavour of a group of systems
referred to as "Unix" - SGI's Irix, Sun Solaris, IBM AIX, FreeBSD,
OpenBSD, NetBSD, Mac OS X... All slightly different, but similar enough
you can jump from one to another without feeling completely bewildered.

> What I'm asking is, does anyone know a good irc channel or mailing
> list for Unix newbies to ask questions without feeling totally stupid?

I think you've found one :-)

> I'm going to migrate the webpages from a Netscape Enterprise system that is
> no longer supported by Netscape (or anyone else) to Apache and I'd like
> someone/someones who would be willing to give moral support and some
> technical support if necessary.

Excellent move!

Having done almost exactly the same myself (CERN httpd --> Apache on a
Solaris system) the best piece of advice is: move slowly! Are there any
pressing reasons to dump Netscape's server right now, or is it just a case
of keeping up to date?

If you like, meet me on irc.openprojects.net - I'm called "James_" (note
the underscore!).

> If I could get away with changing the system to a Linux one I
> would...that's down the road. I DO have a project involving Linux, php,
> MySql and shopping cart software that I'm perking in my head. If anyone has
> had experience with opensource shopping cart software, I'd appreciate
> hearing about it.

e-commerce isn't something I've done any work on, but I'm sure someone
here has!

James.