[Techtalk] 2.4.16 kernel not loading nic module at boot and sound problems

Rachel Andrew lists at rachelandrew.co.uk
Sun Dec 30 13:58:41 EST 2001

Hi

I seem to be fated to have nic problems with this machine...

After getting Debian (Potato) finally installed, I did a dist-upgrade to
testing, installed x and KDE. I have a sound card on this machine (a first
for me with Linux) and USB so I downloaded the kernel source for 2.4.16 (I
had a 2.2 kernel to start with), compiled it and it booted first time with
no problems other than the modules didn't load.

I can get the network back up again by doing

modprobe 8139too
/etc/init.d/networking restart

and I added to
/etc/modutils/aliases

alias eth0 8139too

which I thought would bring it up on boot, but it doesn't seem to. I think
I'm lacking in understanding really of how these kernel modules actually
work. My last Linux box had so little in it that there wasn't much to get
working. I still haven't got sound working at all. I have a SB 128 PCI and
I requested the modules from the kernel which seem to be there - uart401,
sb, sb_lib although, once again, they don't start up on boot. starting them
with modprobe doesn't get the sound card working however so I'm not too
sure where I need to look now.

Rachel