[Techtalk] DMZs, etc.

jhamilto at n2h2.com jhamilto at n2h2.com
Tue Dec 11 12:05:07 EST 2001

Security is made up of more that just 'is your box broken into?'. In
fact, setting up a 'secure' system includes more factors that you may
realize. For instance, you should account for the fact that your servers
are not in a very 'secure' place, your office. You should definitely
look for another room, and jenny v mentioned, that can be locked at all
times. You should also account for environmental failures that can
threaten your computer equipment, like backup power plans in case of
electricity failure, or how you would recover the data in case of a
fire. Hopefully you have already set up a backup scheme for your file
server and any other important data, system configurations, and
installations. If you are really interested in setting up a secure site,
I recommend the book White-Hat Security Arsenal: Tackling the Threats,
which will open your eyes to threats and vulnerabilities that you've
never thought of before.

If you are only wanting to set up NFS for a CVS repository, I'd
recommend sharing code to CVS remotely from all users instead of using
NFS. Not only for security reasons, but also for CVS management.

If you are willing to spend up to $500 on a fast, easy, and scalable
firewall (and router, NAT, DHCP server) there are some small-office
solutions. One example is Watchguard's SOHO firewall, can probably be
found on Ebay for a couple hundred. Retail price from the web site
(http://www.watchguard.com/products/soho.html) is about $400. I've used
this at home and it's really easy to set up. It offers a lot of firewall
features that you are looking for, and it would only take a couple of
hours to set up.

 I don't know what kind of business you run, but scalability and ease of
use is sometimes worth the money to pay for a solution that comes 'out
of the box'. Remember to factor in time and resources as well as price
when deciding on a solution for a business environment.

Jen